The last half of July and August so far has been hotter than the henge's on the gates of hell here in Central Tennessee, high nineties to low hundreds most days an not much relief at night. My shop is a 12' by 20' prefab metal building and the insulation is inadequate to deal with such temperatures. I do have a small window air unit and with reasonable outside temperatures it manages but not for the last month to six weeks. Needless to say I have chosen to stay out of the shop on hot days.
That said , I have had some problems with the digital frequency readout, initially the problem turned out to be a damaged TCXO. I have no idea whether it was a bad unit to start or if I accidentally damaged it, but it failed during the calibration process, no joy! However , Neil at AADE helped with the problem and this week I was able to complete the assembly and set the If Frequency into memory. As I stated in an earlier post the receiver now works very well on 80 meters. although I am less than thrilled with the IF and Xtal filter. When the digital frequency readout has no input from a converter crystal Oscillator the display reads from just below 3.5 MHz to just over 4MHz. When I adjust the BFO crystal adjusting capacitor. The frequency is displayed followed by either LSB, CW , or USB depending upon where the BFO is set in relationship to the IF frequency. I am still not sure how the converters will display on the readout , got to figure that out before I run out ad buy a bunch of rocks.Well it is two days later and we finally got a break in the high temps,
Made considerable progress on the rig. Got the counter mounted and a face plate fabricated and mounted as well. Still have some tinkering to do getting the counter to read the correct frequency when the converters are added, Here is a pic of the rig as it is now. The band switch when added will be located below the S meter and above the on /off pull switch with no knob. I hope to score a suitable Knob at the Huntsville Hamfest this coming weekend.